Sorrel is known to people since ancient times, although in Russia it has long been considered a weed. Today sorrel soup is very popular in summer. Sorrel appears in springtime when our body is so desperate for vitamins. People grow sorrel leaves in their gardens or simply collect them in meadows.
The soup is very easy to cook. Main ingredients include sorrel, potatoes, carrots, parsley and eggs. The soup may be served hot or cold. It's often based on a meat or chicken broth but vegetarian soup is also very tasty. The soup tastes a bit sour which feels very pleasant on a hot summer day.
Broth (meat or chicken)
Boiled eggs (1 egg per person)
300 gr. sorrel
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook meat or chicken broth
2. When the broth is ready add chopped potatoes
3. While potatoes are cooked fry chopped onions and carrots in olive oil stirring often.
4. when potatoes are cooked add fried onions and carrots, chopped sorrel leaves, parcley, salt to the broth
5. Bring the soup to a boil, turn off the heat and leave for 15 min.
6. Boil eggs (we usually serve 1 egg per a plate of soup)
7. Serve soup with sour cream and boiled eggs.